Turks and Caicos past

Many people that visit the shores of Turks and Caicos are unaware that the islands have been inhabited possibly, since 750 AD by Taino Indians visited seasonally. The first Europeans to view the islands where the Spanish in 1512. The islands passed from Spanish to French to British control between 16th and 18th centuries, but none of the three powers ever established settlements during the time. From about 1690 to 1720, pirates hid in the Cays of the Turks and Caicos Islands attacking Spanish treasure galleons en-route to Spain. The islands were not fully colonized until 1680, when salt rakers from Bermuda built the first permanent settlement on Grand Turk and neighbouring Salt Cay. In the late 1780's the agricultural industry sprung up in the islands when Lyalists arrived after the American Revolution. This is evidenced by the historical locations of Wad's Green Plantation on North Caicos and Cheshire Hall Plantation on Providenciales.

Fast forward to 1966 when the first real estate developers arrived in Turks and Caicos Islands. The Seven Dwarfs as they are known were offered a substantial amount of land in return for developing the island of Providenciales with roadways, an airstrip, a dock and surveying the land for future development. A small hotel, Third Turtle Inn, soon followed which then lead to the tourism growth. That's our beginning.